Brainstorm Session - So Cal Mini?????

Plan and announce mini-reunions, casual gatherings and fun!

Postby DennisOBrien » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:59 am

Well Laura, I hope your family and all of the ENGLAND family finds this site and uses it. The DE-635 end of it has a lot of information and we all ways are looking for more. If you’ve any pictures or artifacts, please let me know so I can get them on the web site.

You are right, all the DE635 men are heroes!! You should be very proud of your father.

I believe the DE635 reunion is in Cincinnati or Kentucky in 2008. They are a wonderful bunch of men! You all should consider going!
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Postby Laura Smith » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:19 am

My brother has gone to a couple- I was born very late in my dad's life so people would be suprised to see me there as his daughter- he was 45 when I was born!!! I think growing up with living history created my love of history in general- WWII and Civil War being my favorite. I know there are pictures around of Dad's crew, I can see what I can gather. I am a Registered Nurse by trade but my passion is in writing and I had hoped to write a book about my father's life but he died before I had the chance- his stories were wonderful, from a way of life long since lost to time and technology. I was very sad to have missed my opportunity!
Laura Smith
Pollywog

Postby DennisOBrien » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:26 am

Perhaps you have not missed your chance. Your memories and what you will learn as you look into your father’s life, and your own, may yield a surprise that is there, waiting for you. Anything we can do to help, please let us know.
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Postby DennisOBrien » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:12 pm

Bumping this htread so we might plan somehting for the fall?
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

mini reuion

Postby michael lacorte » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:19 am

Hey Dennise, glad to see the web site up again.You can count me in on any reuion in the so cal. area. HT2 LaCorte 82-86. :D
michael lacorte
Pollywog

Re: mini reuion

Postby DennisOBrien » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 am

michael lacorte wrote:Hey Dennise, glad to see the web site up again.You can count me in on any reuion in the so cal. area. HT2 LaCorte 82-86. :D

Who are you calling Dennise? :roll:

I'd like to do one in So. Cal. for sure. We'd need to pick someplace that folks will want to go, San Diego maybe, or Long Beach or ???????
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Postby Cliff Dilling (FCCM Ret) » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Dennis,
As I said before when this was started, there is a chance I could do a mini.
Would depend on dates and location.
We are starting to plan where we are going for vacation, but that will be very end of Sept Early Oct.
Have a Rally to be at in Oct (10/11) at San Antonio Lake.
Just let me know.
Cliff Dilling

73-75 CGN-9 FTM3
76-79 CG-22 FTM/FC1
79-82 FTC FCC
83-86 CG-29 FCCS
86-89 FCTCP FCCM
89-92 CG-16 FCCM
92-95 ATGPAC FCCM
95-98 FTC FCCM
Cliff Dilling (FCCM Ret)
Shellback

Postby John Chapdelaine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:12 am

Mare Island would definitely get my vote, since we live in Napa and are only about 20 minutes away. Napa has an RV campsite (probably availabe for tents - I've never paid attention) at the local Napa Expo Fairgrounds (rather plain but well maintained with a lot of grass & some trees), and there is also Boethe State Park north of Napa between St. Helena & Calistoga - drive time from Boethe thru the Napa Valley to Mare Island would be about 50-60 minutes, longer if there's a lot of commuter traffic (until about 6 p.m.). Could research other lodging in other areas of & you requested, could make a list of various hotels, motels, B&B's, vacation rentals, and tour ideas & prices.

If people were interested in wine tours in the Napa Valley, we may be able to facilitate group bookings, and I would recommend getting a group limo or designated drivers, due to the alcohol - accidents are not uncommon. My wife & I could be designated drivers, depending on the size of the vehicles used or perhaps rented. (Our largest vehicle seating is 5.)

For those that fly in, I'd recommend the Sacramento airport, rather than San Francisco or Oakland (unless you're staying in that area or wish to sightsee on the way in or out), only because it's easy access and navigation from Sacto. to Napa is much simpler & less hectic. Additionally, because Sacto airport isn't massive like the other two, parking is almost directly across from the terminal and 1-3 min. walk - and I've seen free shuttles to/from lots for those with heavy luggage. If someone is a pilot, the Napa Airport is local.

SoCal or NorCal is a possibility, depending on when it takes place.
John Chapdelaine
Pollywog

Postby DennisOBrien » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 am

A no. Cal. one would be great! There are a number of folks who live up there.

The Mins are ussualy not multi-day, just a day but it can be whatever folks want to do.

I'd like to go to Mare Island some time because I was a DS and did training there.
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Re: Brainstorm Session - So Cal Mini?????

Postby MA1 hayden » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 pm

DennisOBrien wrote:Thinking about a So. Cal, Mini Reunion. No time frame set or a location. We could do something wild (camping, desert, boat, Big Bear . . .) or mild (beach, met at pub or park . . .). Could do anything!

Looking for ideas and to see who might be interested.

Admiral Baker Recreational Facility in San Diego might be an ideal location. Has 48 RV spots with full hook ups. Aso nice picnic area. Also for all golfers, two golf courses. I just stayed there for a weekend and think it wuold fit the bill.

Additionally am anxious to get solid dates for Seattle, so wife and I can get vacation time scheduled. W both still work full time. Anxious to see some of my old shipmates.
MA1 hayden
Pollywog

Postby DennisOBrien » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:41 pm

We're working the Seatle dates. It will be a bit before we know. I know aobut the vacation planning as both Ruby and I work and need to figure out our plan for 2009 soon.

We're on top of it!

Take care!
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Postby OS2Thompson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Dennis I'm not sure if there are EnglandMen in this part of the world, but if an AsiaPac mini could happen in the Philippines, I'm game. Take care, Bill
OS2Thompson
Pollywog

Postby DennisOBrien » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:13 am

OS2Thompson wrote:Dennis I'm not sure if there are EnglandMen in this part of the world, but if an AsiaPac mini could happen in the Philippines, I'm game. Take care, Bill

That would be great fun!!!
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Postby MA1Hayden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach has 2 facilities that would serve nicely for a one day mini reunion. There is Bunker 33 - the enlisted/officers club and there is Barney's Beach Club down by the ammo pier. Both facilities are not in operation on a daily basis.
Bunker 33 is rented out at $65.00 per hour. The Beach Club is rented for $65.00 all day. There is a RV park on the base and hotel accomodations close by. I would be happy to handle logistics if necessary.

MA1 Hayden
MA1Hayden
Pollywog

Postby DennisOBrien » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 pm

OK, there has a been discussion of this again on Facebook and here. It would be good to bring this up again as we will miss out target for a 2011 reunion.
The easiest thing to do for these is just pick a place and time, a day long thing at a restaurant or a location, or both. A few years ago we had USS Midway with Lunch . . . something like that.
We can do it in San Diego, LA . . . Big Bear, Santa Barbara . . . whatever a few of us might show up and support.
That is the key, getting folks to go.
--------
DS2 Dennis O'Brien
USS ENGLAND 80-83
FCTCP 83-84
DennisOBrien
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Upcoming Other Events